Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bakersfield or BUST!

Yeah, so I had this great post planned out about our trip out here, but then I really got to thinking about it. There was nothing really great about our trip. We spent twenty-four hours seeing who could spot the most trains. Oh, and thank God for walkie-talkies. Anyway here's a few highlights...

On the first day, we spent twelve hours in two separate cars and barely made it out of Texas. For the most part I saw only the back of the trailer Cody was pulling... What the heck is a custom hitch anyway?


The second day? Well, we left early in the morning from Albequerque. We loaded the cats and our suitcases back in the car and started out around seven thirty in the morning. For those of you who don't know, I'm NOT a morning person. The cats were not happy to be back in the car, and I was not happy to have them. The finally settled down after a while, but they let me know exactly what they thought about it first. We did get to see several hot air balloons taking off that morning, which was cool, but soon we got back to the boredom that is New Mexico. See below.


Arizona was somewhat better since the landscape began to change. Cody and I both fell in love with Flagstaff. It was an absolutely beautiful town. The mountains and trees were a great change of scenery.


Of course, the cats didn't care where we were. I did learn that they did better with a little air conditioning and that my Louie is WAY more needy that Madison will ever be. In between each new spot that he tried to sleep in he would come and sit in my lap for a few minutes. He eventually decided that no where would make him happy, so he rotated about four or five spots every half hour or so, stopping to visit me in between. Not that I'm really complaining because since we've been in Bakersfield he's been my bestest buddy.


Below is just a snapshot of me being bored. Nothing like the Mojave Desert to make a girl crazy.

We finally reached Bakersfield, California around eight that night. It was great to get to see our friends, Ben and Jill, who so graciously made room for us in their home. God truly blessed us with our friends. I nearly cried when I got there because they had gone over the top to make us feel at home. Dinner was waiting on the stove. We had a bedroom to ourselves, and they had even cleaned out a closet and a dresser for us to put our things away. I cannot say how much these people mean to me, but I hope that one day I will be able to return the kindness in some way.


Now we are here in Bakersfield, and we are happy as can be. The town is more than I had dared hoped it would be. The people here are nice, and I have friends nearby who have helped make it feel like home (Ben, Jill, Ashley, Jason, Laura, and Steve in particular). Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Cluff Family said...

AWWWE! You know you are welcome here ANY Time!! We are sooo very glad you guys are here too! I just wish your job didn't monopolize so much of your time, Dang library.
Love ya!
-Jill